Sams Club - Beware of Sam's Club auction website

Sep 17, 2011
review #262546

I won a bid for 2.5 gal beverage dispenser on Sam's Club online auction for $1.One would think - great deal- however, the email confirmation stated the shipping/handling fee was $60!

Talking about price gouging and deceit!!

When I called their customer service was that $60 fees remain even if the item was returned! How did a $1 item become $61? Totally unfair and outrageous!

Be careful that it doesn't happen to you, and voice your complaint(s) when you feel you have been wronged.This was definitely wrong, and hope others learn from this situation.

c192f95
Had an experience with Sams Club?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
DAVO

Oct 31

DID YOU THINK A DOLLAR WAS A GOOD PRICE? WELL BEFORE YOU BID ON THE ITEM IT SHOWS THE SHIPPING FEES SO THAT WAS YOUR OWN FAULT, AND PROBABLY WHY NO ONE ELSE WAS BIDDING

lefty

Oct 13 League City, Texas

i bid on 2 things and got an e mail saying my order was cancelled at my request. this is a complete lie.

Betty boop

Oct 05

I bid and won 2 make up brush sets. Shipping on each nearly $50. I wanted the sets, but they got me on shiiping. Next time was on I bid again in order to check shipping charges. Total was $18! I've sent several emails to them with no response.

HappyGranny

Oct 01 Byron, Georgia

Lucy, there is a way that is done without you being aware of it. I do it myself. Say the bid is 20 and I want to discourage other bidders, I might bid $35. Then it will show me that I have a bid of 21 with a maximum of $35. So every time someone bids (up to $35), it is going to increase my bid by a dollar.
I hope they will get discouraged and drop out. Then I get it at a lower rate if I don't have competition.
Hope this helps you.

HappyGranny

Oct 01 Byron, Georgia

I have been using the auction for about a year and have been quite happy. Before I submitted the bid, I was shown what the S & H would be plus the taxes and the grand total. It was always spot on!
I do go an extra step and that is I research the item on line to see if it is a good deal for me or if I would do just as good to buy locally.

Lucy

Aug 26

why is it no matter how much I bid I am immediately outbid. Also been looking at item for days. There have been no less than seven of this item up for auction one at a time. As soon as one ends another one goes up starting at $1.00 I bid $90 just to see what happens sure enough before it even goes through someone has bid $91.00 and we are the only 2 bidders!! This site is a scam.

4 1 Reply
Just My Opinion

Aug 27

I buy from Sam's Club all the time too. However, I experience the same thing Lucy does every time I bid in the auctions. The auctions clearly are not running honestly. They seem to be running the price up because the number of bids placed does not change when it says that someone has outbid me. Sam's Club has a third party running the auction so of course they make more by running the auctions up when no one is really bidding. It is disappointing they do this and I am likely not to use the auction anymore.

1 1 Reply
Steven

Sep 05 Harlingen, Texas

I have purchased items off the Sam's Club Auction site, and had nothing but great experiences. When you bid it tells you what the shipping and taxes are, so the original complaint (not yours) is outdated. Also, I have won things for as low as $5, like an Xbox One game, and after shipping it was about $10 total. I am sure there are people that are on the site all the time bidding to buy these things so they can resell them later. I have seen water coolers go for $200 plus on this site so a $90 bid isn't really a big deal. Some items end up closing for more than they're worth, but a lot of things close pretty low and at huge savings.

Steven

Aug 04

Now when you bid it tells you what the shipping costs are, even includes taxes.

Sb

Jul 16

Won a watch and recieved one that had a warranty card already filled out by someone from Plano, Tx .
Purchased another exact one and no warranty card or instructions came with it. Customer service never responded to my inquiry.
Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave.

GG

Apr 21

It has been problematic on this auction website for years. Yes, they do charge you VERY high shipping and handling fees for no obvious reason. I was told that the website was outsourced to a 3rd party.
Recently I experienced even more severe issues, three times in a row that they cancelled my won bids. I was told that they don't have the merchandise that was on auction, and sorry. Are you serious?!
Someone has to clean up this shop ASAP as Sams Club is a legitimate company. Tks.

buckeyelady

Apr 14 Lima, Ohio

I sure wish I would have read these comments before I ever bid on a Sam's Club auction and have them keep my money for a month!~

buckeyelady

Apr 14 Lima, Ohio

Sam's Club Auctions are really a shame and an outrage to Sam's Club patrons. Won a dyson sweeper on the auction site and received a *** computer office briefcase piece of ***. Had to wait until Sam's Club received the wrong item they sent us to get the $300+ refund due on our sweeper. Are you kidding me????? Three weeks later they say they processed our credit but will probably take 3-5 days to hit our credit card. In the meantime, we will be charged interest on the money for a sweeper they never sent us. What a sham, what a mess, what a shame, in excusable, an outrage! DO NOT PURCHASE ITEMS OFF OF THEIR AUCTIONS! Way too much hassle, expense, etc. Customer Service is a joke, they keep saying "we do apologize for your inconvenience..." over and over. YES, IT IS A HUGE INCONVENIENCE. GET OVER YOURSELF AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS OR SHUT YOUR WEBSITE DOWN.

Lesson Learned

Jan 17

I checked around the Internet and this seems to happen frequently...
Final email:
The fact that the item is still in stock for purchase and delivery throughout this whole ordeal and I still couldn't get that order/auction filled just boggles the mind. I don't care about the $25 dollar gift card just like Sam's (and Walmart for that matter) does not care about its customers. I'll exercise my only real purchasing power and both Sam's Club and Walmart won't see any more of my money cross their books. I'll be sure to share this dreadful experience with everyone I know. I want no further business with either related companies.
Me
On 1/10/2014 1:52 PM, mserve@samsclub.com wrote:
> To help us provide the best service possible to you, please do not change the subject of, or any replies to, this email. > > To Me: > > Thank you for contacting Sam's Club in regards to your recent inquiry concerning an inventory issue. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. There was as system issue that resulted in items being automatically relisted when they were in fact out of stock. We are still working to identify all of the items and the member's that has been affected by this issue. We would like to offer you a $25 Gift card for the inconvenience. Please reply back with the complete address you would like the giftcard sent to. > > If you need further assistance regarding other issues, please use our Answer Center located
... Show more

Robiesoo

May 30 Shreveport, Louisiana

Your right; SAMs shows by actions, not words; they couldn't care less about the need of the customer. Their CUSTOMER SERVICE is the WORST!

Jan 05

I had good luck on a set of sterling silver bracelets - I paid $40.00 and they had them in the store for $119.00 - and a ring that I got for $100.00 and was in the store for $250.00. If you find something you like I would recommend going to the store and finding the item there and seeing what it sells for. You don't want to pay too much which can easily happen. I was charged $6.00 for shipping and handling so I didn't have any complaints there but I agree with the original poster that it can be a big deal on a large item.

Aug 04

Exactly, it is the same as Ebay, do not bid on an item that has high shipping if you don't want to pay for it. I can't believe they bought an item for $1 and didn't expect to pay shipping.

0 1 Reply
Tina

Dec 23, 2013 Raleigh, North Carolina

I won a bid for a television, thinking I was getting a good price. They socked me for 83.00 in shipping charges, making it no deal at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. I also will no longer continue to renew my membership and will never buy another item from them EVER!!!!

2 0 Reply
rippedoff

Dec 17, 2013

On Dec 8th, 2013 I placed an order for an ipad mini for my husband's birthday along with another item order#2422873992. I received a confirmation of my order with approximate arrival date. However, the day before I suppose to receive the ipad they sent me a Cancellation of order e-mail. Saying that they are sorry but have to cancel my order. I sent them an e-mail and told them that what they have done is wrong and asked for a call back. Waited two days and on Dec 13th I called their Customer Service center. A young lady named Lisa tried to help me and told me that she does not understand why they cancelled my order. She asked me to place the order again and told me that they will express my order at no charge and that she has got the ok from her supervisor. I place the order again order# 2459500959 . I waited until today and instead of my ipad I recieved another "Sorry but we have cancel your order" e-mail again. I called their CS again and asked to talk to a supervisor after waiting for a while a lady name Marie got on the phone with me. She said the reason they cancelled my order both time is because they don't have the item on stock. I told her but I see it on your site and it does not say "out of stock" she said "that is correct" she continued with; we won't say out of stock bit we sure and let you know that we cannot fulfill your order. I thought I was in an episode of Hillbilly show. I told her but that is not right and she said well that is how it is done here and... Show more

1-20 of 49 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.