SAMS Club - no warranty if your Sam's club membership expires!

573 of 588 Sams Club Reviews
Jun 25, 2008
review #125261

I purchased a battery for my Ford F150 about 1.5yrs ago which recently died. My membership has since lapsed and I no longer have a copy of my receipt.

Their customer service will not look up my account to retrieve the purchase information (for proof and date of purchase) and will not honor the warranty (full replacement for 2 years, plus pro rated up to 84 months) unless I pony up and rejoin their organization of world destruction once again. What a load!

After having learned about Wallmart's and Sam's club practices (forcing American jobs overseas and killing small town businesses) I choose to never shop or support their stores again. This is further confirmation to avoid these establishments.

62e2d97
2.5
Had an experience with SAMS Club?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Load

Jun 18

I ran into the same thing. Costco has same policy on batteries and tires. Factor in the $45 membership price when you're pricing merchandise. If you shop there a lot anyway its not a big deal. There has never been a Sams club close to my home so its not worth the membership price. As far as I know on most other merchandise you don't need to be a member to return it with a receipt during the normal return period.
Costco retains computerized receipts on site for AT LEAST 5 years. Sams club only 2 years. Thats a big reason not to shop at Sams.

load

Jun 18

I feel the same, that current membership should NOT be required. I also fee that ALL member stores should retain 5-10 year purchase history like Costco does. What I have done is let my membership lapse, then if I need to buy a bunch of expensive items or return something renew it. In balance I think the Costco membership is a good deal. Since I view Sams Club as a giant Wal Mart, which is free to shop at, I don't think Sams is worth a fee.

Mar 15

Interesting, here is a guy saying he would not have been doing business with this organization and does not support this organization but is willing to accept their product as long as he gets it for free. If you truly feel you no longer believe in the way the do business you should feel ashamed about any products that you have in your possession that affected so many Americans and would be looking to replace them as soon as possible to prove your lack of support. Sounds like someone who doesn't believe in killing animals for their fur, but continues to keep that 4000 dollar coat they got before they found out how it was made.

Reggie Hill

Jul 26, 2012

I bought a LCD tv from sams club that lasted eighteen mounths I have a extended service plan from them and I am getting the run around from them every day I will never buy any thing like this again you have been worned do not trust they or the company that issues the service plan what a scam :sigh :(

Joe Burris

Jul 23, 2012

I too have the same problem with Sam's Rip Off Club! Membership expired and so did the warranty on my michelin tires purchsed there. :(

naombasana

Mar 14, 2012

It is amazing that people who I assume do not know one another would waste time saying mean and nasty things about one another. The gentleman lost his receipt. It could happen to anyone. People do not be so mean to one another.

lagarza

Oct 05, 2011

If you paid with a debit card or a credit card then you can get a copy of your account activity which has the purchase information. Usually stores can lookup your purchase in their database if you paid with a card.

Nick

Oct 05, 2011

It's it interesting that Mark forgot all about those negative things he heard about Walmart when he found out he could rejoin and have his warranty back?

CP

Dec 14, 2010

I agree with Mark. It sure seems we have a few happy employees of either Sam's Club or Walmart or both (over-achiever's). By the way, Irish, what is your deal with small children? I have read a couple of other forums about this, where you made negative comments, insinuating child-like intelligence about someone commenting in the forum. Yes, full of run-ons, gramatical and spelling errors. Cant wait to see what age I am.

Sep 14, 2010

reason i let this go so long was i kinda forgot about this. i'm not attacking you per se, im attacking the character you're portraying. it just happened you were the person who it was. also.. just because you're paying to be a member doesnt give you the right to be an ****hole. you're paying for a membership to buy items at bulk and near wholesale prices. so after all this... i hope you'll atleast learn to keep your receipt.

Irish

Sep 14, 2010 Holmestrand, Vestfold

What are you five years old. An adult can keep track of their receipt, even a six year old can apparently you cannot.

Sep 14, 2010

Ha! I'm at Sam's this very moment. We kissed and made up a long time ago. Seems you let that fester for a while before responding. Why are you even attacking me anyway? I wrote to a website called pissed consumer, because I was pissed...at the time. All comments only seem to be pro store / anti consumer. Odd.

You don't know me. Please reserve your assumptions and judgement. I can assure you that I am anything but lazy. Computers crashing??? Really? You don't think a major corporation (even small these days) have backup systems and servers? That would never cross my mind.

Another customer rep was happy to look it up and help me out during a future visit. Guess what...I renewed after that. It was just the one bad apple there.

Mar 15

So what you are really saying is that is was not the organizations fault but it was the person/employee that was not helpful. In essence your rant was completely moot as the companies policy is to help people but the employee was and should have been reprimanded or fired for not performing their job correctly. Evidently your assumptions and judgment was incorrect and you should have thought this through before posting so it appears his judgment and assumption against you was correct after all.

Sep 14, 2010

so you've never heard of computers crashing? data being erased? so what if the date, place and warranty is stamped on there? the battery could have came with the car. people like you are time wasters and lazy.. they tell you keep your receipt. why? well because you need it in case of warranty! and what do you do? rely on someone else to do it for you. ultimately its up to the member to prove their warranty. if i was there i would gladly refuse to warranty, pull out a copy of the warranty, where it is in bold and underlined saying you need to be a current member. if you still complained then you know what? i dont need you... id give you a full refund and tell you to.. nicely.. because i know you'd B*tch up a storm.. to go fu*ck yourself.

Jan 28, 2010

It wasn't a thousand dollar computer (and if it were, I still would not keep my receipt because any modern retailer has a copy on file under my account/ name regardless....and my Applecare coverage is by the serial number on the product...no receipt necessary)...it was a car battery that had a stamped date on it. That was my proof. It said Sam's club...had a stamped date. What more proof do I need? Warranty was printed on the battery...did not say that a current sam's membership is necessary to be honored. They were just being jerks...requiring the receipt...even though they log auto parts in another book and date stamp when you purchase for warranty reasons. The receipt was just a road block to pimp people. All of the proof was already there. Plus...this complaint was from back in 2008 bud. I'm long over it.

Again....this site is called pissed consumer...not store advocate. What's with all of you non pissed people? =)

Mar 15

Well Applegate would not do anything for me on my iPad without a proof of purchase they claimed anyone could try to repair or replace a stolen/lost product and that I would need proof. I still had the original box and all but got nowhere with them.

Jan 28, 2010

ask them for a copy of the warranty.. it clearly states you must remain a member of sams club for all warranties to be in effect. also why wouldn't you keep your receipt? its your proof of purchase.. would you throw away the receipt to your thousand dollar computer away? no.. you keep it in a safe place incase something happens and you need to prove something.

Nov 03, 2008

I thought this was a site for pissed consumers. You all seem to be on the retailer's side. Perhaps most of you who are commenting are employees of said company? In any case, auto parts there have their own record (they scan a code for a separate log when you purchase), and the battery was stamped with the purchase date...so the original receipt should not have been an issue. It was a Sam's exclusive product (their label), so I could have bought it from only one place.

Craig David

Oct 26, 2008

Your beef has nothing to do with a warranty, you major beef has to do with getting your purchase history. If you bought this item a year and half ago, your purchase history is gone, especially if your membership has lapsed. It's an unfortunate situation but no one is to blame really. It's just been too long. You should keep up with your receipts instead of blaming other people for your mistakes and I don't mean that to be rude but you have to know I have a point.

Mark Zadvinskis

Aug 20, 2008

The warranty did not state that a current membership is required in order to be honored. If I buy a Sony TV there and have a problem, Sony is not going to ask me if my membership has expired.

You can reserve your "*** and asinine" comments for more deserving posts. You obviously lack basic common sense, courtesy and logic skills.

PS. I do dislike unions a great deal, though they did serve a useful purpose when first created.

Showing 1-20 of 22 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about SAMS Club.
Filing a new complaint about
×