Doug Jones started working for Sam's Club, part of the Wal-Mart Corporation, on January 15, 1990. At this time, Sam's Club had just opened its first store a mere seven years before Doug's start date. Doug enjoyed working at the fast growing store, so much so that he continued to work for them for 21 years. Doug worked happily and diligently with no problems from management, until November 15, 2011, one month before the Vietnam veteran was eligible for retirement.
On this day in November 2011, Doug was just about to clock out of his position as a full-time electronics associate, when a long time, regular customer came in. Fully aware of Walmart Corporation’s stringent rules on overtime, Doug called for backup to replace him several times, but received none. Doug acted reasonably and in alignment with the Company procedures and business interests, and continued to provide a "customer-first" approach by helping the customer for 9.5 minutes. Little did he know at the time that these 9.5 minutes- on top of a 21 year loyalty at the company- would be his last.
Doug Jones is a war veteran, father, grandfather, a faithful employee, and an active member of his Neighborhood Association. For working 9.5 minutes overtime assisting a customer, he was wrongfully terminated and still to this day, four years later, has not received his severance benefits from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is a $145 BILLION industry, and yet still has not been able to part with the severance benefits that Doug rightfully deserves. The 9.5 minutes of overtime would amount to $4.18 additional to Doug's paycheck...surely this is not why they terminated him and refuse to speak with him on the phone?
It makes you wonder: if this was done to Doug, how many other long-term employees have been heartlessly dismissed just before their retirement?
Please share this story and let the world know how Sam’s Club treats its devoted employees.
If anyone has any advice or legal consult to provide to help Doug’s case, please call 719-390-6823.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
- Reasonable price
What I disliked
- Customer service is horrible
- Reason of review:
- Wrongful Termination
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "I worked for Liberty Tax service in Palm Bay FL after taking their tax preparation course. After the course was completed, the franchise owner had mandatory training sessions for employees/future..."
- "Ive recently found out that they have 2 offices, one in Las Vegas and one in Cebu, Philippines...they will be closing the Las Vegas one pretty soon. They run a..."
- "Dear Mr. Jim Millerborg(Sam's Club; Wichita Kansas 316-945-3010)My name is Kimberly Vu-Childrey and I'm just one of Sam's customers. I have purchased and IPod-touch on 01/18/2010, with the 2yr Service..."
- "I have had the 10 cup pitcher for over a year and I have changed the filter once. I test with another TDS meter than the one supplied by Zero...."
- "In our situation, we were promised many things by Paycom and even paid thousands for a payroll "convertor" which would convert our POS data to payroll upload which after a..."
- "I have a complaint about acceptance inside the kimbels furniture store in Goosecreek sc They don't tell you they are part of a rent to own store they have..."
- "Calling every week this is the 10th time. Told me couple time i will still get my number i want to get call back press blaah blaah no one haven't..."
- "Just moved into Waterbrook Apartments in Southern California and for 2 weeks we have been fighting with maggots outside on our patio. It took management 2 weeks to figure..."
- "We love Ritz at our house and I buy several at a time each week. It has been the last 6 mo - 1 year that they are a..."