Sams Club - 21 Year Employee Wrongfully Terminated after Working 9.5 Minutes Overtime
Doug Jones started working for Sam's Club, part of the Wal-Mart Corporation, on January 15, 1990. At this time, Sam's Club had just opened its first store a mere seven years before Doug's start date. Doug enjoyed working at the fast growing store, so much so that he continued to work for them for 21 years. Doug worked happily and diligently with no problems from management, until November 15, 2011, one month before the Vietnam veteran was eligible for retirement.
On this day in November 2011, Doug was just about to clock out of his position as a full-time electronics associate, when a long time, regular customer came in. Fully aware of Walmart Corporation’s stringent rules on overtime, Doug called for backup to replace him several times, but received none. Doug acted reasonably and in alignment with the Company procedures and business interests, and continued to provide a "customer-first" approach by helping the customer for 9.5 minutes. Little did he know at the time that these 9.5 minutes- on top of a 21 year loyalty at the company- would be his last.
Doug Jones is a war veteran, father, grandfather, a faithful employee, and an active member of his Neighborhood Association. For working 9.5 minutes overtime assisting a customer, he was wrongfully terminated and still to this day, four years later, has not received his severance benefits from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is a $145 BILLION industry, and yet still has not been able to part with the severance benefits that Doug rightfully deserves. The 9.5 minutes of overtime would amount to $4.18 additional to Doug's paycheck...surely this is not why they terminated him and refuse to speak with him on the phone?
It makes you wonder: if this was done to Doug, how many other long-term employees have been heartlessly dismissed just before their retirement?
Please share this story and let the world know how Sam’s Club treats its devoted employees.
If anyone has any advice or legal consult to provide to help Doug’s case, please call 719-390-6823.
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
- Reasonable price
What I disliked
- Customer service is horrible
- Reason of review:
- Wrongful Termination
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Didn't receive paycheck Friday like was suppose to. Called Des Moines office and get answering machine, leave message. Call Erins personal cell, get voicemail, leave message no response. Call Saturday..."
- "I actually work at portrait innovations in tn and I agree. They are a horrible corporate run money sucking company that doesn't care about you or your family or their..."
- "I worked for renter perks for 5 months during this time I realized the company was ripping off small businesses and firing employees and not paying them the money they..."
- "...I took him to a petsmart so I didn't expect anything great, however I got home and noticed blood on his ear this lady cut part of his ear!..."
- "I've been with ally auto financing for two years. Bought 2014 Kia Optima brand new for 300.27 a month through ally mobile app. January 11th 2017 I made my payment..."
- "I purchased a small canvas emergency pouch last November it was intended to hold personal items, medication, a torch and batteries things for an emergency. When it did not appear..."
- "I ordered Grubhub for Sushi delivery the other night and after about an hour of waiting, I called my restaurant to inquire about my food. They said it has been..."
- "Tried to work this out with From You Flowers but they were not interested in addressing my issues with the flower order and they said I received what I ordered...."
- "Potential customers of the Andean Secrets of Sustainable Living 2017 Tour with Gregg Braden should be aware that the company operating this tour is indeed Power Places Tours, a company..."