43K views
1947 comments

I don't have a problem with Food Stamps and feel that it can be a good program that benefits a lot of people.However, yesterday, I stood behind 3 women in line at Sam's Club with a cake that was 3 feet x 1 1/2 feet with Hello Kitty decorations.

$60 dollars...and she paid for it with a SNAP card. $60 dollars! This just chaps my butt. This is just wrong and a bunch of ***!

There is something wrong with the system when money designed for food for a month can so callously be wasted on a $60 cake.It probably would have not bothered me had it been a 20 dollar cake but $60 just blows my mind.

Comments

If you minded your own business then her "$60 cake wouldn't have blown your mind".

Okay, so most all states use a debit card for SNAP.My old one looked like a debit card from anywhere else pretty much.

Why are you standing so close to her and scruitinizing her form of payment? How someone pays for anything isn’t your business. I’m not on food stamps anymore but the amount I got as a single adult with no income was enough to spend $3 per day on groceries. If this woman scrimped and saved and wanted her child to have a birthday party like all the other kids, why is it your business?

Did you grow up poor?

See other kids who were more fortunate who could get a birthday cake and have a birthday party but you couldn’t?Do you know how difficult that is for children?

All of you illegal foreigners, need to get back on the boat, and stop sucking up the welfare system in America.

Maybe she ate nothing but ramen or tuna "casserole" (my mom's specialty involving boxed mac and cheese, green beans, and tuna- it's especially delicious when your fridge springs a leak and is out of commission until your landlord can get a contractor over to fix it but you need to eat in the meantime) for a month or two beforehand to save money for the cake.You do realize that the funds can roll over from one month to the next, right?

I'm not on SNAP myself (make just a little bit too much to qualify here in Virginia), but I'd be pissed off if I was the one buying the cake to give a kid who probably hasn't had anything nice or fun in months a "normal" birthday just like any other kid and had to face snide comments and massive side eye from people judging me without knowing the situation.For all we know, the woman could be a foster mom using food stamps to buy a birthday cake for a kid who was just recently placed with her and is in dire need of some normalcy and stability (SNAP is just many of the benefits that foster parents get on behalf of the kids that they take in simply because the financial assistance that many places offer just isn't enough to cover the stuff that these kids need, from food to clothing and even medical care).

to Lindsay #1397487

Exactly.People chap their own hides all in others business.

I am not a recipient, but I get vigorously watched when paying and the nosy bastards are not ashamed to stare at my hands to see what I'm paying with. I NEVER look at other shoppers that way!

WHY!These idiots have no life I swear.

How sad that you are so judgemental. Is it possible that She just spent half of her monthly good allotment to make a child happy?

Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States #1350024

Why does it matter? I'm pretty sure you have someone in your family that has them. A least it's not beer!

to Annumous Nye County, Nevada, United States #1351406

But a sixty dollar cake is basically using three fourths of them on the cake, and if you knew how to read you would see that the food stamps is not the issue but the spending $60 on cake when it could be used to feed her children healthy and nutritious food. You are only ASSuming that their family is on food stamps, and even if they are they probably do not spend 75 percent of their food money on cake.

Funny...The leading recipients of SNAP, formerly food stamps, and Welfare are Caucasian.

While, I agree that many people do abuse the system... Most are hard working mothers like myself. And I also agree that a $60 cake was a bit outlandish... South shall rise again?

Really?

Why did this become an issue of race?This was clearly an issue of ignorance.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada #1333139

I cannot wait until the south rises again!

to *** Democrats #1343255

I agree! Screw the liberal agenda, and the south WILL rise again!

Federal Way, Washington, United States #1331349

why are you pis.ed at sams club they did not pass out your tax money....The GOVT did.. MISDIRECTED anger...Go back to school and get an education. before you are SNAPPED....

to yea.rite Nye County, Nevada, United States #1331832

IF the three women got an education they would have a job and not have to rely on the OP's tax money, so the advice can go to them as well.

I have foodstamps and I work everyday.I buy my child's birthday cake with food stamps and make ends meet after bills to get paper plates, plasticware, the works you need for a child's bday party!

I'm a black women! Not all black women go out & get nails done, hair done live in the projects! I pay bills just like everyone else! So that's really offensive for the mothers that are out there doing what they have to do for their children!

I think it's awesome that a grocery store will allow a mother to get their child's bday cake with stamps!Cause after bills some moms that are doing what they are supposed to just don't have it

to Anonymous Nye County, Nevada, United States #1331833

I hope that you are just joking around and poking fun of black women.If not, than if you can afford to get your nails done you do not need food stamps or you can buy food with money.

Feeding your child comes before making yourself look pretty.If you have so many bills that you cannot afford the cake, than you cannot afford to get your nails done and your hair done.

Ohio, United States #1325075

Oh my goodness people!!Why does evryone need to be so judge mental ?

Why can't u just be happy for the kid that's going to get a great cake?

U never know someone's circumstances so quit judging people just because they are using a snap card!!Just insane to me the way evryone wants to judge evryone else it's none of your business!!

to Anonymous Nye County, Nevada, United States #1329585

Though the kid may get a good cake they won't be eating healthy for the rest of the month.It is everyone's business because they pay for the cake.

When your tax money goes towards feeding families healthy food and the parents buy expensive cake you have every right to be upset and it is your business. Your tax money, your business were it goes and how it is used by these people. The mother does not need to spend so much for a nice cake.

Even people who have jobs cannot afford a $60 cake.If she had to pay for it out of her own money she would not be spending this much.

And you can be sure that one of them *** had nails and dressed to the nines. That's the problem - you can get a $60 nail job, you can afford the cake.

Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States #1312344

First time out of the house in a while? Get used to it!

to M.P.007 #1312578

Why should people get used to it, probably the first time he met someone who would abuse the system.