Sams Club - Beware of Sam's Club auction website

775 of 999 Sams Club reviews

I won a bid for 2.5 gal beverage dispenser on Sam's Club online auction for $1.One would think - great deal- however, the email confirmation stated the shipping/handling fee was $60!

Talking about price gouging and deceit!!

When I called their customer service was that $60 fees remain even if the item was returned! How did a $1 item become $61? Totally unfair and outrageous!

Be careful that it doesn't happen to you, and voice your complaint(s) when you feel you have been wronged.This was definitely wrong, and hope others learn from this situation.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 110 Yes 110 232 No 232
Had the same issue 162 Yes 162
775 of 999 Sams Club reviews

20 hours ago #1294428

1. Shipping and tax showing before you execute the bid... that is obvious... HOWEVER, I have bought well over a hundred items and there are many times when the shipping estimate were under the actual shipping charged. So the out for sams club is that it is an ESTIMATE. Since I have purchased so many items I have a sense of how much the actual shipping cost will be based on the estimate. The bigger the item the bigger the shipping variance. 2. My complaint is that about 40% of the products arrive damaged, era dirty, missing a part or misrepresented on the auction description. Many items ship in its original packaging rather than inside a shipping box. Some items arrive looking like it was run over by a truck. Many also repackaged by fedex because the tape on the broken box couldn't hold it together. Many have to be returned which is a hassle because each one is an order and has to be processed separately. Very time consuming. 3. My biggest complaint is that I have been charged return shipping on some items WITHOUT MY PRIOR KNOWLEDGE / CONSENT on damaged items. I believe this could be an electronic funds transfer act violation. So I buy the product, pay for shipping, get a damaged product then they charge me shipping to return it. That is not right. Also the refund email didn't include a shipping refund. Just the product. So I paid shipping twice and don't even have the product anymore. No customer service explanation, no email notification or policy that I have found... Show more

Feb 09 #1283752 Spring Hill, Florida, United States

Yes the shipping fees and taxes are supposed to be up there and you commit to the amount you bid with these fees. However take a screen shot of your bid and compare that to what you are charged. It's never the stated costs. 22 auctions and not one of these was the price I committed to pay. Strange they are never off in making it s lessor amount.

Dec 11, 2016 #1253861

You are right. This auction is lousy lately

Dec 03, 2016 #1249498 Temple, Texas, United States

I have been ordering from this auction for 8-10 years. When you go to the bid section, it automatically tells you the price of shipping before you ever submit bid. Go back and look to see what yours stated. This may help you with future bids. If it says less than $60.00, I think you have a good case to argue.

Oct 14, 2016 #1227075 Ashton, Idaho, United States

I won a few things on the Sam's Club auction. They were really good deals but then got an email that they didn't have the product. This has happen 3 times.

Man

Sep 29, 2016 #1220393

The high prices on the auctions are due to idiots that don't know what they are bidding on.
They just HAVE to win the auction and drive the price far beyond what the retail price is.
I have witnessed this MANY times and just want to SHAKE the people, but this is not possible. Even today that someone bid 401 on a tablet that was 189 in the store Unbelievable !!

Man

Sep 29, 2016 #1220389

I have bought 1000's of items off the auction in the last 7 years. I have been shipped obviously the wrong items.. and in more than 10 cases, store returns missing parts or damaged. In 95% of the time I get what I bid on, but sometimes I don't. I thought they were supposed to be NEW items. One thing that kills me is people bidding as high as 400.00 for an item that can be bought online for 190.00. Do people NOT read and check out the price before they bid or do they just have to win at what ever cost ?
Flabbergasted lol!!

SciForce

Oct 17, 2016 #1228286

Sometimes items are not available in all areas of the US and abroad but will ship there relatively cheap via the auction site. So people spend more money to buy the item.
Also there are people that do have to win at all cost. Some people never even check the prices, I see a Casio calculator set people are spending $15 for but on the Sam's website it retails for $9.81. I guess some people may not have a membership as well.

Aug 01, 2016 #1193087 Mountain View, California, United States

I know that this does happen and if you call customer service and ask for a private bid when you see the item up again they will give you what they call a private bid. They will send the sale to your email in the exact amount that you did and all of a sudden the item was out of stock. You basically bid the same exact price and win the bid with no one being against you!
I have however been the winner of the actions of expensive rugs that were cancelled on me on the rugs never came up again .... that is just a plain bummer ..
Not enough reason for me to give up on the site however!

Aug 01, 2016 #1193084 Mountain View, California, United States

I have had problems with their website overcharging for delivery. In most instances especially this one, where there was a blayant error in the shopping cost. One should simply call the samsclub auction number explain the $60 charge for plastic items and it would have been taken care of. The $60 would have been reduced to about $6 .... which is where this error probably occurred from in the first place ... and you would have me billed The $1 plus $6 horse shipping plus the tax! That simple I have no idea what this customer is complaining about ... and believe me I buy thousands of dollars worth of stuff off of the samsclub auction site! You must be aware however that if you purchase a very large heavy piece of furniture there could very well be $150 delivery fee! I hope this clears that up!

Apr 13, 2016 #1144124

When you bid you can see freight and handling as well as tax. You are right about charges they are ecessive but some are reasomable

LadyScot

Mar 27, 2016 #1134769

Perhaps you could have saved your self the sticker shock by actually reading the auction information before placing your bid. The shipping, tax, etc are all stated right on the page for you to read before you bid. Once you bid, you agree to the price.

9 0 Reply

Mar 27, 2016 #1134767

Before submitting bid the site tells you the shipping costs. Pay attention!

3 0 Reply
Lena

Mar 18, 2016 #1129441 Gilbert, Arizona, United States

I have been going crazy trying to log on, using my sams credit card. I guess their number is too long, it won't print the last digit. So, it's their card and their problem, I've made phone calls etc about getting signed up just so I could spend my money on their product, but I'm tired of beating my head against the wall, and I will not use another cr. cd., if they won't let me used theirs. From what I've been reading, maybe I'm lucky it didn't take my card.

0 1 Reply

Mar 07, 2016 #1123524

I agree that the shipping fee is extreme BUT it is very clear that the shipping fee is listed BEFORE you click on your final bid. So, for every auction, you know the full amount due including the shipping and tax before you even bid! When I saw that an item I wanted was too much to ship, I did not click it on but canceled the bid and all was fine.

2 0 Reply

Jan 28, 2016 #1102229

I guess you didn't read the info before you confirmed your bid.
We have purchased an office chair, a men's bike that were a very good price and we knew what the shipping was before we confirmed our bid. READ PEOPLE READ PEOPLE not sams problem its yours.

4 0 Reply

Jan 03, 2016 #1087927

When you place a bid if you are smart enough to read all the information in that box it tells you how much your shipping will be. At that time if you don't want to pay that much just hit CANCEL. Your own fault. So quit complaining.

3 1 Reply

1-20 of 102 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.