Washington, District Of Columbia
15.3K views 104 comments

I won a bid for 2.5 gal beverage dispenser on Sam's Club online auction for $1.One would think - great deal- however, the email confirmation stated the shipping/handling fee was $60!

Talking about price gouging and deceit!!

When I called their customer service was that $60 fees remain even if the item was returned! How did a $1 item become $61? Totally unfair and outrageous!

Be careful that it doesn't happen to you, and voice your complaint(s) when you feel you have been wronged.This was definitely wrong, and hope others learn from this situation.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Sams Club?

Comments

Debera S
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States #1342484

I "won" a 21" spinner suitcase but they sent me a 29".I called and they said they wouldn't exchange the suitcase but would refund my money.

I got a good price and needed a carry on.Now I have to go elsewhere.

Noblesville, Indiana, United States #1316422

Before you finalize your bid hyena show the shipping cost and taxes.

1.Shipping and tax showing before you execute the bid...

that is obvious... HOWEVER, I have bought well over a hundred items and there are many times when the shipping estimate were under the actual shipping charged. So the out for sams club is that it is an ESTIMATE. Since I have purchased so many items I have a sense of how much the actual shipping cost will be based on the estimate.

The bigger the item the bigger the shipping variance. 2. My complaint is that about 40% of the products arrive damaged, era dirty, missing a part or misrepresented on the auction description. Many items ship in its original packaging rather than inside a shipping box.

Some items arrive looking like it was run over by a truck. Many also repackaged by fedex because the tape on the broken box couldn't hold it together. Many have to be returned which is a hassle because each one is an order and has to be processed separately. Very time consuming.

3. My biggest complaint is that I have been charged return shipping on some items WITHOUT MY PRIOR KNOWLEDGE / CONSENT on damaged items. I believe this could be an electronic funds transfer act violation. So I buy the product, pay for shipping, get a damaged product then they charge me shipping to return it.

That is not right. Also the refund email didn't include a shipping refund. Just the product. So I paid shipping twice and don't even have the product anymore.

No customer service explanation, no...

Poor business practice.Anyone else have this happen to them?

Spring Hill, Florida, United States #1283752

Yes the shipping fees and taxes are supposed to be up there and you commit to the amount you bid with these fees.However take a screen shot of your bid and compare that to what you are charged.

It's never the stated costs.

22 auctions and not one of these was the price I committed to pay.Strange they are never off in making it s lessor amount.

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa #1266473

The price with shipping and handling is quoted before you bid...

You are right. This auction is lousy lately

Temple, Texas, United States #1249498

I have been ordering from this auction for 8-10 years.When you go to the bid section, it automatically tells you the price of shipping before you ever submit bid.

Go back and look to see what yours stated.

This may help you with future bids.If it says less than $60.00, I think you have a good case to argue.

Ashton, Idaho, United States #1227075

I won a few things on the Sam's Club auction. They were really good deals but then got an email that they didn't have the product. This has happen 3 times.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States #1223297

Sam's always tell all additional cost before bids are accepted.

Man
#1220393

The high prices on the auctions are due to idiots that don't know what they are bidding on.

They just HAVE to win the auction and drive the price far beyond what the retail price is.

I have witnessed this MANY times and just want to SHAKE the people, but this is not possible. Even today that someone bid 401 on a tablet that was 189 in the store Unbelievable !!