Austin, Texas
22.1K views 137 comments

When i applied for a position with sam's club (cashier) i didn't expect to sell anything! Everyday before my shift my COS (manager) pushes me to get at least 2 renewals, 2 plus memberships and at least some credit card sign ups.

Related: Sams Club - Sell used furniture as display only item

First off no one is going to get a discover card now-a-days with the interest rates being so high.

Second, asking your members the samething everytime u see them can be annoying and i know if i was a member of sam's club i would not want to be bothered while checking out.

Third, IF YOU DON'T SELL/ GET PEOPLE TO RENEW THEIR MEMBERSHIP THEY WILL COACH YOU THEN CUT YOUR HOURS!!

This is NOT what i signed up for and they did not tell me during the interview it would be this dramatic... i want to be able to come to work and not worry about selling things to the regular customers that i see everytime i work. Come on sam's club!

The only good thing is they start you with 10.00 an hr and you get free membership

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Sams Club Membership
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Sams Club?

Comments

Frankford, Delaware, United States #1277673

I agree.Do not apply unless your people person and like getting yelled at daily for asking the same question over and over.

When I applied I was aware of selling upgrades and credits. I've been here for almost a year. When I first started I would atleast get 1 a day. I live in a decent size town.

But now all the members have gone thru hundreds of times and get mad when you Ask. Or have already upgraded. Now I'm lucky if I get 1 a week. The other day they told us if we didn't get 30 upgrades that day we were getting cut off our sam share and if someone didn't get one we were going to get coached but they didn't tell us that til 2 hours after my shift.

If I would've known that I wouldn't have taken my breaks. Then I got a credit and I thought i was relieved but she said it had to a plus.

So I guess I'm getting fired tomorrow when I go in tomorrow.And no they did not tel me in orientation that we could be coached for it.

Bob
Muncie, Indiana, United States #1238401

That is true.As of 2/2016 they have taken away holiday pay and sick, personal time.

I've been there 5 years and a employee that has only been there a year makes $.57 less an hour than me.

No room for advancement.

It isn't a great job. With the new cuts they also took away our annual raises that came with our yearly reviews.

You could get $.40/HR to $.60/HR. Now we aren't guaranteed any raises.

They last one we got was 2%.Lowest we have ever got.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States #1237082

Everyone knows if you work in retail ONE of your MANY jobs is promoting memberships of the particular store (if they had one) and the store credit cards.That's nothing new.

If you haven't paid attention to the cashiers, clerks, sales associates, or whomever when you go out thhannnnnn I don't know to say lol.It's a job just do it.

Newark, New Jersey, United States #1218103

Your a *** *** then man we all have a job to do and that's that. I started off as a cashier and got my daily upgrades and credits .. You just Dont know how to ask people (not a people person)

Rogers, Arkansas, United States #1208117

You'll are a bunch of baby's ... SAMs club is a great place to work if you do your job and don't wine you'll move up quick .... Lots of opportunities

Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States #1196709

Man I wish I would've found this before I applied, I had no idea we had to do all this extra *** AS A CASHIER!!!!Not only did we have to worry about renewals and credits but we had to transfer everything from one basket to another, including flatbeds also.

It didn't matter if it was a bunch of small stuff or a bunch of heavy stuff it had to be moved.

They put us under alot of stress and I couldn't take it anymore.The sad thing is I actually liked my job when I first started there, that all changed after 3months, I can't believe I was there for almost a year without going ape *** on someone .

I work at a Sam's club and I thought I would be getting more hours.Now, they are hiring for more people for electronics and I guess I will be getting less hours than I am working now.

Don't get me wrong. I do like working there. I really like my co-workers and I really like helping customers. The Sam's club I am working for is a good store.

My supervisor likes me and treats me with the utmost respect. When I come in for my shift, I will yell out a co-workers name and wave at them. Yeah, I like it there. Sometimes, we have till we have all the zoning done, which just adds maybe another half hour to my paycheck.

I need more hours and I will find a way to supplement my income whilst there.

Thanks.

This is why you push carts. Lol.

I got fired at Sams club 6575 for not transferring, when other cashiers don't transfer

Ben1
to Anonymous #1206505

If they all took $10/hr pay cuts would you do the same as well. You should worry about you. Not others.