23K views

During a recent visit to Sam's Club in Ohio I was denied using our food stamp card. The food stamp card has my husband's name on it but I am the one who carries it. My husband has never used it.

WE have membershipS to Sam's Club. I am the Primary card holder. When I came home I emailed Sam's Club. I received an email stating I could use the food stamp card WITHOUT my presents since we both have memberships.

I went 2 weeks later and ran into the same problem. I told the manager about the email. After a few minutes of discussion he let me use the card without my husband but told me the next time my husband would have to be with me. The manager told me my information was wrong. The information came from Sam's Club though.

I can understand the using of someone else's Sam's Club card but considering BOTH of us have Sam's Club memberships and we are husband and wife. It just doesn't make since to me.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Mar 23, 2010.

Comments

Instead of buying the membership, save that money, stop using food stamps, and go shopping somewhere cheaper :)

They give one ebt card for the family. Unfortunately they don't put everyone's name on it.

The manager needs to be retrained. He needs to look into the welfare program because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

#1519618

I came across these post searching for information for a food stamp (SNAP) recipient. I am a retired caseworker (worked for 30 years) for the Department of Public Welfare (now referred to as DHS).

I was responsible for determining applicable policy in the dissemination of cash, food stamps (SNAP) and medicaid benefits. Just to clarify, all persons that buy and prepare food together are required to be in the food stamp household together. Spouses and children under the age of 22 that live in the household are required to be included in the food stamp household, whether they eat with the family or not. Only one person is assigned as the payment name.

That person is responsible for the use of the card. However, there are circumstances where someone else needs to be able to purchase with the card as well. (You can set this up for anyone that you are buying food for) The process is to contact your DHS Office (welfare office) and tell them you (the payment name must do this) wish to have the person who is going to be shopping also, be an authorized representative in your case. They will tell you what you need to do.

A second card will be issued to that person with their own pin number.

This will allow legal access and usage of the card for that person on your account. Hope this helps!

I went to sam’s Club today 6 /18/18 just like I do every month I shop for my son in same house hold but a new worker she started working at sam’s In April 2018 would not let me use his card , she took my cart of food and went and put my food away . Oh God where’s a attorney I want to sue

to Debra Boggs swayzee indiana #1546970

You should. That's not right.

If married there should not b a problem

Wow.... There's not even enough info here for you guys to properly make an opinion.

The bit of info you're missing is whether they have applied together or just her hubby for the food stamps.

If together, they only print one name on the card, and it's typically the male. And if that's the case, they applied together(because why wouldn't they, they're married...,) both can use the card.

to Common sense #1546971

You don't have to apply together, you just have to notify EBT services and give them the information of any other accepted individual (spouse, relative) you deem allowed to use the card.

You can't use a membership card not in your name.You can't legally use a credit or debit card not in your name.You can't legally use food stamps not in you name.You see a pattern here? The problem is not Sam's club.

to Rey #1440899

Seems someone tried to explain that below and got ranted at

to Rey #1444337

I disagree.With permission yes you can.If MARRIED YES U CAN!

to Anonymous #1546972

Correct. With permission that you notify services about. The key there is that services have to have the information of the other individuals allowed, then they can use it.

Some people just wants to make things hard for people...

No one has ever asked me if my name was on my card. Not at any store?

to Confused321 #1441666

Me either. I go into Sams and when I check out i slide my membership card scan my things and slide my snap card and go home. If you have the pin then 9x out of 10 you have authorization to use it especially if you are married to the person.

Has ANYONE here thought that because HER NAME isn't on the Food Stamp card, she is NOT ALLOWED to use it? After doing some research (which I would recommend people DO instead of assuming), only the person whose name is PRINTED ON THE CARD is allowed to use it.

This woman is NOT the person on the card, NO MATTER if she's the one that holds onto it.

I have no issues with using food stamps (I do know people who do have them)-I'm merely setting the record straight. Sam's Club is in the right here-they even bent the rules to accommodate her once (something Corporate could REALLY come down on them for) and told her the truth.

to Curious #1379658

When someone is applying for SNAP they're asked to provide the name of anyone else who might be using the card. Aka a care taker or maybe a wife ....

Do more research. They didnt bend any rules for her they just didnt know them and complicated her day :(

to Anonymous #1380301

Show where you got that. I actually ASKED someone who HAS the thing.

to Curious #1380665

Yes, when you apply you put everyones name on the application but its only one card per family.

to Anonymous #1440435